The nonprofit East Coast Greenway Alliance (ECGA) is developing a 3,000-mile route for safe cycling and walking throughout the Eastern Seaboard from Canada to Key West. The East Coast Greenway aims to transform our hundreds of communities into models of healthy living, sustainability, and prosperity.
Position Description. The Mid-Atlantic Greenway Coordinator is a full-time position that carries region-wide (PA, DE, MD, & Washington D.C.) responsibilities for all aspects of greenway development, state committee/volunteer engagement, and some fundraising tasks related to the region. The Mid-Atlantic Coordinator works under the direction of the Director of Greenway Programs in coordination with the Executive Director and other ECGA staff.
This position will implement programs that support the East Coast Greenway Alliance Strategic Plan and specific strategies and goals in the region. This position will help execute key programs in 2017 including the East Coast River Relay. The right candidate will grow, support, and empower our volunteers in the region and must be able to travel frequently within the region for meetings and events. A budget for travel, equipment, and other program expenses will be provided.
Deadline to apply: May 26, 2017.
- Complete and monitor signage throughout the region. Work to move a maximum amount of the on-road portions off-road (including designating trail as official ECG) and make remaining on-road sections as safe and bicycle/pedestrian-friendly as feasible.
- Keep the data reporting system up-to-date, update the ECGA online Trip Planner and create reports as requested (at least quarterly).
- Assist our volunteer State Committees and other volunteers within the region.
- Build/maintain a strong network of strategic alliances with public agencies, elected officials, and organizations in each state to continue strong Greenway progress.
- Communicate regional information in coordination with Communications Manager for ECGA website and newsletters. Engage Mid-Atlantic media.
- Assist with fundraising efforts led by the Executive Director in coordination with the Director of Greenway Programs, including growing dues-paying membership and developing significant fundraising leads (including prospective individual donors, foundations, and corporate partners).
- Develop detailed progress reports on the East Coast Greenway in PA, DE, MD, & Washington D.C. in collaboration with State Committee leaders, partner agencies, and other organizations.
- Work with ECGA staff and State Committees to plan logistics for ECG progress in the region, identifying and finding solutions for key gaps and opportunities.
- Become familiar in detail with the route throughout the 285-mile corridor.
- Work directly with State Committees and agency partners to advance implementation of ECG plans. Network and engage local to federal stakeholders.
- Manage the trail designation process within the region.
- Coordinate signage program within the region including: Work with state DOTs, local municipalities, parks, and volunteers to implement full signage of the ECG throughout the region by 2019.
- Build and maintain collaborative partnerships with other bike/ped organizations, public and private agencies, and trail advocates to further Greenway priorities.
- Organize ECGA state or regional meetings, workshops, and training sessions in partnership with the Director of Greenway Programs and ED.
- Serve as point of contact for trail managers/developers/advocates regarding ECG questions. Help provide assistance or direct inquirers to appropriate sources.
- Monitor designated greenway segments to ensure they continue to meet our standards.
- Get ECG included in state and local plans, official reports, and on official maps.
- Organize state and regional advocacy to secure trail development funding.
Building Public Support
- Build and support strong volunteer engagement including attending State Committee meetings.
- Organize and participate in events throughout the region throughout the year: including bike rides, walks, and staffing booths at community events.
- Present reports at ECGA summits and when requested.
- Respond to or help direct to the most appropriate party inquiries by the public, our partners, and media related to the ECG.
- Provide regional news & stories for e-news, website, & social media
- Represent ECGA at relevant meetings and events
- Maintain files, a database of contacts, and email groups as needed for your communication within the region
- Assist the Executive Director as directed to increase regional resources from ECGA membership, donors, foundations, corporate support, and successful events.
Assist with other tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated leadership in implementing greenway projects that promote transportation equity.
- Passionate commitment to East Coast Greenway Alliance mission.
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and integrity.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Entrepreneurial and strategic approach; tenaciously takes initiative and applies sound judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and tactfully with a wide range of people and personalities to establish collaborative partnerships as a team player.
- Track record of engaging and motivating volunteers.
- Able to function in a fast-paced work environment; able to work on several project deadlines simultaneously, delivering professional work on-time and on-budget.
- Well-organized, self-motivated and independent worker who understands the need to develop work plans and to prioritize work efficiently. Takes record-keeping, documentation and file management seriously.
- Able to travel throughout the region for meetings and events.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a relevant field such as planning, environmental management, etc.
- Three years or more project management and/or program experience in a relevant area such as greenway development, environmental policy, health, or community organizing.
- Nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Strong technology, written and oral communication skills.
Salary: Full-time position with competitive salary commensurate with experience. Range: $42,500- $54,000. This position will be based in Philadelphia, PA.
In addition to submitting a resume, please also submit a cover letter (attn: Niles Barnes, Director of Greenway Programs) detailing interest, how you learned of the position, preferred salary, and qualifications with references.
- 10 paid holidays per year
- 10 paid vacation days per year (increases to 15 after first year of service)
- 10 sick days per year
- FICA, Medicare, unemployment security, workers’ compensation.
- Medical and dental insurance available via group policy. ECGA covers 80% of premium cost for medical and 50% dental for the employee and 50% toward dependents’ medical and dental.
- ECGA will have a match for retirement contributions.